Now is a great time to think about cleaning up lose ends from the current year and getting ready for the new year. When I think of year end Human Resources housekeeping, my 3 mop buckets include: Compliance & General HR, HR Strategy and HR Budget.
As you dip your mop in to begin cleaning, focus on the following:
Compliance & General HR:
- Federal and State Compliance
- Harassment & Discrimination
- Posters and Notices
- Records Retention
- Internal Programs & Policies
- Updating your Orientation Pack
- Vacation carryover
- Employee Handbook review
- Performance Management cleanup
- Personal Information & Emergency Contact Information Update
- 2012 Company Holidays
- Communication to Payroll on new deductions
- FSA reminders and deadlines
- OSHA Form 300A posting
- Updating salaries for Life and Disability plans.
- Review the current year’s strategy.
- Were goals achieved?
- How was the timeline for achievement?
- What priorities should be changed?
- What can be learned from the current plan?
- Develop a new strategy in line with the overall business goals.
- Using the HR Strategy Plan for the new year, develop a budget that supports reaching those goals. The HR budget should cover the following areas:
- Salary and merit budget
- Training budget
- Rewards & recognition budget
- Hiring and recruiting plan
- Departmental budgets
- Benefits budget
Housekeeping is never “fun” but always worth the time and effort to have a clean start to the new year!
Happy New Year!