You may have missed Employee Appreciation Day in March, but while it’s always good to take time out of your busy schedule to say thanks, showing appreciation to your employees should be more than just one day a year. Creating a culture of appreciation and recognition can go a long way towards improving employee productivity and employee retention. Here are some tips that will recognize your employees in a meaningful way and work towards a culture of ongoing appreciation:
Pay personal attention to your employees:
- Everyone likes to have time interacting with their boss, especially when it is not specific-task-related
Take time to:
- have 1:1 conversations with your employees, that are not specifically task-related (how are you doing; what parts of your job do you like?; etc.)
- ask their opinion about something you are working on, or a company initiative
- check in on their family or personal hobbies
- ask what their career objectives are and give them some feedback/advice on how they might be able to work towards those goals at your company.
Identify your key, critical employees:
- Tell them how much you value them, and WHY – it is the specific description of what they are doing of value that is going to be meaningful.
- Give them constructive feedback that outlines their strengths and helps them continue to grow
- Make sure they are fairly compensated for the job they do
- Create visibility opportunities for them with Senior Management
- Assign mutually interesting stretch projects that give them a chance to grow and shine
- Mentor/coach them
Recognize all employees for the value they bring:
- Figure out how each of your different employees like to be recognized (publicly, privately, with a global e-mail, with an opportunity to work on a special project, with a thank you!, small gift certificate, day off, etc.) AND recognize them.
- Celebrate successes as a team: for example: if you team just finished a huge project
- bring in lunch for the groupmake your own sundaes
- let them leave early one day (if possible)
- thank them all for their hard work!!
- send them each a personalized thank you note
- give them a small token that they can hang in their cube or put on their desk